2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R and Its Predator V8 Are Thirsty – Is It Better or Worse Than the TRX?

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
2023-ford-f150-raptor-r-sticker-epa-mpg-1024x533.jpeg

The new 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R has begun production and the first customer trucks should be reaching their new owners as early as this month. We drove the new truck in Michigan and got a first taste of the new supercharged 700-horsepower Predator V8. Now, we find out the new truck’s fuel economy rating.

Take a look at the Raptor R truck Monroney sticker. It lists the estimated fuel economy of 10 MPG in the city, 15 MPG on the highway, and 12 MPG combined. The new Raptor R has a transfer case that allows the driver to drive in 2WD (rear-wheel-drive) only mode, 4-Auto, 4×4 High, and 4×4 Low gearing. I imagine that the 2WD driving mode helps the Raptor R get a descent 15 mpg on the highway. The truck weighs about 6,000 lbs with most options so it will be thirsty in city driving.

Is this better or worse than the supercharged V8 Ram TRX?

The Ram TRX does not offer a 2WD driving mode from the factory, it’s in all-wheel-drive as default. The TRX also has 4×4 High and 4×4 Low geared modes as well. The Ram TRX is EPA-rated at 10 MPG in the city, 14 MPG on the highway, and 12 MPG combined. The Ram TRX’s base curb weight is 6,350 lbs, so it is considerably heavier than the Raptor R.

Indeed, the new Raptor R and the TRX are basically tied with the city & combined driving economy estimates. The Raptor R does have an edge on highway driving and we hope to test this soon.

Source

commonduck

Founding Member
Reaction score
The new 2023 Ford F-150 Raptor R has begun production and the first customer trucks should be reaching their new owners as early as this month. We drove the new truck in Michigan and got a first taste of the new supercharged 700-horsepower Predator V8. Now, we find out the new truck’s fuel economy rating.

Take a look at the Raptor R truck Monroney sticker. It lists the estimated fuel economy of 10 MPG in the city, 15 MPG on the highway, and 12 MPG combined. The new Raptor R has a transfer case that allows the driver to drive in 2WD (rear-wheel-drive) only mode, 4-Auto, 4×4 High, and 4×4 Low gearing. I imagine that the 2WD driving mode helps the Raptor R get a descent 15 mpg on the highway. The truck weighs about 6,000 lbs with most options so it will be thirsty in city driving.

Is this better or worse than the supercharged V8 Ram TRX?

The Ram TRX does not offer a 2WD driving mode from the factory, it’s in all-wheel-drive as default. The TRX also has 4×4 High and 4×4 Low geared modes as well. The Ram TRX is EPA-rated at 10 MPG in the city, 14 MPG on the highway, and 12 MPG combined. The Ram TRX’s base curb weight is 6,350 lbs, so it is considerably heavier than the Raptor R.

Indeed, the new Raptor R and the TRX are basically tied with the city & combined driving economy estimates. The Raptor R does have an edge on highway driving and we hope to test this soon.

Source
I’m motivated. He has my specs.