Guess the Raptor R's Fuel Mileage!

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been driving a TRX for about 1,000 miles now and I've been seeing about 12 mpg in town and 14 mpg on the highway. This is the first 1,000 miles so I feel like there is still some break-in to be had, but I think this is going to be about the range for a supercharged V8 off-road truck. I've heard the Ford GT500 fuel mileage is abysmal so it makes me wonder how bad the fuel mileage will be in the Raptor R.

The things the Raptor R has going for it against the TRX are that it's about 400 lbs lighter, it has a 10-speed transmission and it can be run in 2wd drive. The gas-sucking features on the Raptor R are a very power-dense and thirsty 5.2L supercharged V8 and 37-inch tall tires.

Surely, the Raptor R will manage at least 10 mpg in town? 🤷‍♂️

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Bronco Raptor is much lighter vehicle, right??
Not a whole lot lighter. The Bronco Raptor weighs in at 5,733 lbs per Ford's base curb weight spec.

super8

Raptor-R ️‍🔥
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
With 37s, my guess would be somewhere around 12 city, 14 highway.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
So this guy is averaging about 8 mpg in his Shelby GT500. I know Ford will have at least a 30+ gallon (probably 36-gallons) tank in the new Raptor R, but I hope they have some other magic up their sleeve to help get the fuel mileage up.

uthorns1976

Founding Member
Reaction score
So this guy is averaging about 8 mpg in his Shelby GT500. I know Ford will have at least a 30+ gallon (probably 36-gallons) tank in the new Raptor R, but I hope they have some other magic up their sleeve to help get the fuel mileage up.

And I assume the Raptor R weighs more than the GT500? Yikes.

uthorns1976

Founding Member
Reaction score
The Raptor R weighs about 1,800 lbs more than the GT500.
Yikes, and the GT500 does not have 4x4 mode either. I would still order Raptor R if I could purchase one for sticker price as opposed to thousands over sticker.

JUNGLE JIM

Founding Member
Reaction score
My Sea Pro offshore with twin Yamahas takes $750.00 to fill er up and we think GPH not MPG. Do you think that I'm not fishing anymore??

If yer concerned about the MPG on the Raptor R maybe think a fifty year old V-Dub Bug at 30 MPG and probably fifty grand as it is a high end classic now, if it runs.

Sheesh, the only thing I'm concerned about is it's range on a full tank. If It can't take me from point A to point B on a full tank I'll just take a half dozen Jerry cans with me.

My 2006 TJ Rubicon barely gets ten MPG. And that's with a straight six and a nineteen gallon tank which is why I carry two Jerry cans on the sides. Think that stops me from Jeepin?

JJ

JUNGLE JIM

Founding Member
Reaction score

Jesus Christ dude...........

Take it up with your Mommy who probably bought it for you. Get your skate board back out of your bedroom basement closet and shut up!

JJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite things to do is burn fuel in a high-performance vehicle, but it doesn't keep me from wondering what the new Raptor R range will be. The GT500 range is definitely awful, but it also has a tiny tank. I'm planning on towing with my Raptor R as well so the range will definitely take a big hit with my trailer behind it. I'm averaging 10.7 mpg in my TRX around town right now. I would have to think that the Raptor R will be similar.

Rated R

Founding Member
Reaction score
Can't be worse than my Power Wagon w/ 35's on it averaging about 12 around town and is pig slow.

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Can't be worse than my Power Wagon w/ 35's on it averaging about 12 around town and is pig slow.
At least the Raptor R will have the performance to help erase the pain at the pump. I can't wait to open up those exhaust valves and roast some 37s!

Dpagni

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been driving a TRX for about 1,000 miles now and I've been seeing about 12 mpg in town and 14 mpg on the highway. This is the first 1,000 miles so I feel like there is still some break-in to be had, but I think this is going to be about the range for a supercharged V8 off-road truck. I've heard the Ford GT500 fuel mileage is abysmal so it makes me wonder how bad the fuel mileage will be in the Raptor R.

The things the Raptor R has going for it against the TRX are that it's about 400 lbs lighter, it has a 10-speed transmission and it can be run in 2wd drive. The gas-sucking features on the Raptor R are a very power-dense and thirsty 5.2L supercharged V8 and 37-inch tall tires.

Surely, the Raptor R will manage at least 10 mpg in town? 🤷‍♂️

Dpagni

Founding Member
Reaction score
When you’re paying $110,000 for a pick up truck the The fuel economy is not important

JUNGLE JIM

Founding Member
Reaction score
The Raptor R is a toy, like in...................FUN. Who cares what it costs or how much gas it burns. Especially if you can afford it and write all of it off as a business expense.

Ain't nobody telling me that I can't have my boat........YET. I realized years ago that the fresh fish that I catch from it end up costing around $100.00 a pound or more, that's if I catch any at all!

Today whilst bringing home another old Willys junker I saw an electric Ford SUV dead on the edge of the desert road fifty miles from the nearest service station with a service truck along side and an umbilical cord running from the gas generator on the truck to the "engine" compartment of the SUV. Can you imagine what that cost the dumb-ass in his planet saving eighty thousand dollar statement ? And how long it took to get a charge to make it another fifty miles to a public charging station?

No matter what any smartsy tree hugger says, all electric vehicles run on coal, nuke and hydro PERIOD. And ends up costing them more than if they were running a gas or diesel engine.

Just saying.............

JJ

Newport

Reaction score
See my thread on R mileage. My new--900 miles--Raptor R gets about the same mileage as the Mustang w the Predator engine: way under 10 in town, more like 7-8mg. Maybe it's not broken in yet but so far it's terrible. Haven't established highway yet, sure to be better, but even w a 36 gallon tank this kind of consumption greatly limits range.

JUNGLE JIM

Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the fuel cost as it is a tax deduction.

What does concern me is having to watch the fuel gauge and plan ahead for fill-ups on long range trips. Probably end up bringing two five gallon Jerry cans as backup. Ford did provide that little white plastic nozzle/adapter behind the rear seat.

JUNGLE JIM

Founding Member
Reaction score
Mpg up to 6.3 today.

And yes you can operate the exhaust in the Baja mode on the pavement..........if you can stand the noise inside the truck!